Why should you track ranking
Keyword ranking shows your blog’s position for a specific keyword on Google or other search engines. If you know how high you rank, it’s easier to develop your blog promotion strategy. Also, rank tracking allows you to evaluate whether your website performance and discoverability have improved over time and what parts of content need closer attention.
Moreover, you can spy on competitor keywords and add them to your dictionary. But, remember to consider other metrics as well, such as conversion, click-through rate and more, to see the whole picture and develop the best strategy.
Best SEO rank-tracking tools
The following SEO rank-tracking tools provide various features to help you improve website performance from all angles.
Ahrefs is the biggest and the most full-featured website rank-tracking service providing you with keyword research, rank tracking, SEO audit, competitive domain comparison and more. With Ahrefs’ Keyword Explorer, you can:
- Always have fresh keyword ideas, as the program features more than seven billion keywords.
- Get ahold of keywords on Google, YouTube, Amazon, Bing, Baidu and other platforms.
- Identify keyword difficulty and the estimated number of clicks for your keywords.
- Analyze the ranking history and other metrics for keywords (clicks per search etc.).
- Explore data for over 170 countries.
Ahrefs features tutorials and a blog with many useful materials to help users learn about search engine optimization. It is a fully commercial platform. You can start with a seven-day trial for $7 or choose one of the paid plans, starting from $99 per month.
SEMrush has great functionality to improve your search engine optimization, advertising campaign, content performance, social media and marketing strategies. With this tool, users can:
- Analyze competitor keywords (search volume, competition, traffic).
- Track their position in the SERP.
- Discover new companies and analyze the competitive landscape.
- Get insights for your content optimization.
You can try SEMrush with a free trial or purchase a subscription, starting from $99.95 per month.
Google Search Console is a free tool powered by Google that you can use in order to control your blog’s performance and discoverability on Google. Needless to say, this program knows exactly what Google wants, so it might be very efficient for your website promotion. Here is what you can do with this tool:
- Control your indexing and apply for re-indexing when updating your content.
- Analyze traffic data.
- Discover backlinks.
- Get tips on website optimization.
It is a great program for business owners, site administrators, SEO marketers, webmasters and basically anyone who has a website and wants to improve it.
Moz is one of the most reputable keyword rank-tracking sites that generates tons of metrics. It is an all-in-one SEO solution for keyword and link research, rank tracking, on-page optimization and more. Moz allows you to check both your website performance on the SERP and keep an eye on your competitors to reveal their soft spots. Here is what you can do with Moz:
- Check your keyword ranking over a certain time interval and across 200 countries.
- Compare and optimize desktop and mobile versions of your website.
- Develop a strategy to take a featured snippet and eat up most of the traffic.
The platform features four types of subscriptions. There is a 30-day free trial for the Medium plan which gives access to 10 campaigns, 10 user seats, 900 keyword rankings and more. Premium plans start from $99 per month.
Serpstat could become the best keyword rank tracker since it is designed not only for SEO but also for PPC and content marketing. You can check a domain, keyword or link and filter the results by country or search engine. Serpstat offers position tracking, backlink analysis, keyword research, site audit and competitor research. Here are some of its most remarkable features:
- Find which keywords you miss that your competitors don’t.
- SERP historical data.
- Traffic share option for the tracked keywords.
- Market share fluctuations.
The platform allows 30 queries per day for free. You can also purchase a paid plan from $69 per month.
When looking for the best SEO tracker, think of SE Ranking. It’s a cloud-based software for social media management, search engine optimization, advertising campaigns and more. With its Keyword Rank Tracker, you will:
- Monitor major search engines such as Google, YouTube, Bing, Yahoo and more.
- Search by country, city or postcode.
- Analyze both desktop and mobile search results.
- Check your Google Ads position.
- Monitor the ranking of up to five of your competitors and compare them to your website performance.
SE Ranking offers three billing options, starting from $39. If you are not sure which plan would best suit your needs, use the online calculator.
SEO PowerSuite is a versatile solution for improving your website performance from different angles. Its Rank tracker tool offers to:
- Check your website ranking changes over time.
- Collect data from over 320 search engines.
- Explore how profitable each of your keywords is in terms of SEO.
- Get insights for up to ten competitor websites.
- Get notified if a wrong page is ranked for your keyword.
- Make sure you don’t miss any relevant keyword.
- Crawl the web without being interrupted by search engines.
You can download the basic version for free. It includes all SEO activities, but doesn’t permit sharing projects, storing them online, scheduling activities or exporting information. Other than that, there are two paid plans for $299 and $699 per month.
Keyword Hero is an online SEO software for boosting your website’s organic traffic, suitable for both e-commerce and web publishers. It can be integrated with your Google Analytics account so that you can analyze the data in a familiar interface. To start off, you’ll need to set the code on your website. Keyword Hero allows users to:
- See the search queries that bring users to your website.
- Check keywords of your landing pages and see what traffic volume they bring.
- Optimize your content and ranking on SERPs.
- Get insights into your brand and non-brand search traffic.
- Distinguish informational and transactional queries.
Keyword Hero offers a free plan (check up to 10 domains) and a 14-day free trial for paid plans, starting from $9.
KWFinder is a part of the Mangool’s package of SEO tools. It will give you access to over 1.6 billion relevant keywords, including 100 million competitor keywords, and over 50,000 locations worldwide. Here are the most valuable features that the tool offers:
- Discover more keywords with high search volume.
- Check what keywords your rivals rank for.
- Learn about historical search volumes.
- Increase your traffic with the hottest trends, topics and seasonal keywords.
- Consider various locations in your research.
The tool has three plans, and you can pay on a monthly or annual basis. Also, there is a 10-day free trial allowing you to make five checks per day and three paid subscriptions from $29.90 per month.
Ubersuggest is a simple free SEO tool by an SEO marketer Neil Patel. It is aimed at checking your competitors’ rankings and metrics such as:
- Organic keywords volume.
- Organic monthly traffic.
- Domain score.
- The number of backlinks.
- Main SEO pages.
Ubersuggest can be a great start for beginners who don’t need advanced features and want to get just a few insights into their competitors’ businesses.
Best practices for rank tracking on Google
When using SEO rank-tracking software, remember a few simple rules:
- Google doesn’t favor rank tracking and can temporarily ban your IP address if it detects too many queries in succession. So, it’s better to log out of your Google account, use incognito mode or search-engine friendly tools to avoid any ban.
- Targeting a single location won’t get you anywhere. Track keywords for various regions to get the whole picture.
- Monitor keyword trends as they can tell you much more than the keywords themselves. Google personalizes search queries for each user according to many factors, but keyword trends reflect the general situation.
- Check the level of competition when you choose keywords to rank. Otherwise, your campaign might not be cost-effective at all.
How to choose the best SEO tracker for your blog
Tracking your website’s rank and checking keywords is one of the crucial factors for your business success online. It allows you to evaluate the current situation, your blog’s potential, trends and competition in the niche to come up with the right strategy and avoid making mistakes.
These best SEO tools could assist in such an undertaking and speed up the project growth by a lot. Beginners can start with free programs that offer basic features to get insights into a website performance, while seasoned marketers should explore advanced platforms able to provide deeper insights.